- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai Spoilers: Kartik shocked to get message from Naira
- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai 19 July 2019 Written Update
- Kasauti Zindagi Ki 19 July 2019 Written Update: Anurag meets Prerna burns down her suite
- Kundali Bhagya spoilers: Preeta's haldi ceremony next - PICs inside
- Kundali Bhagya 19 July 2019 Update: Preeta donates blood to Mahesh
Superstar Rajinikanth, who is loved by his fans since time for decades now, turns 67 today
Megastar Rajinikanth is the most popular South Indian actor with a massive fan following. The veteran has fans of all ages and in all parts of the world. Be it his unique way of delivering dialogues or his ‘superstar’ aura, the actor is much loved, even worshipped by some of his fans. No doubt, everybody unconditionally loves and respects this phenomenon.
Today on his birthday, here’s taking a look at some lesser known facts about the one and only Thalaiva:
Rajinikanth is a brand himself, anything that is associated with him automatically becomes famous. But it was not a cakewalk for the actor to be what he is today. The 67-year old, before starting his career in the film industry, had to take up all sorts of odd jobs. The actor, whose original name Shivaji Rao Gaekwad (yes, he is a Maharashtrian), was born in Karnataka, did his schooling in Bangalore and served as a bus conductor for Karnataka state transport corporation in Bangalore. It definitely was not an easy journey to have achieved so much. From nothing to something to a Superstar to the World Cinema, it definitely was a roller coaster ride.
During the superstar’s birthday, his fan associations organise eye donation and blood donation camps regularly.
According to reports, Rajinikanth is the highest paid actor in India and the second highest in Asia. After the success of his film Sivaji, that released in the year 2007, Rajinikanth’s fee was as high as Rs 26 Crore. He became the second-highest paid Asian actor after Jackie Chan.
Reports are that the moment Rajinikanth made a Twitter account, he attracted as many as 1,50,000 followers on the first day! Such is the fan following of the Megastar!!!
Rajinikanth was introduced by a renowned filmmaker K Balachandar in the movie Apoorva Raagangal as a co- artist in 1975. He started off as playing the antagonist and then he was offered to play the protagonists in the films and today he is a Superstar; he deserves every bit of the success. Believe it or not, it’s been 25 years that Rajinikanth is in the industry but he has never been embroiled in any kind of controversies.
Let’s take a look at Superstar’s Top 5 movies
- Thalapathi (1991) – If you ask any fan of Tamil cinema about their favourite Tamil crime drama, they’ll instantly say ‘Thalapathi’ starring Rajinikant. Helmed by Mani Ratnam, the film is one of the best movies of all time. The film is about the camaraderie between Rajini and Mammooty; the two have shared screen space for the first time. See Trailer
- Annamalai (1992) – Helmed by Suresh Krishna, Annamalai is a 1992 film, which is a remake of 1987 the Hindi film Khudgarz. Besides Rajinikanth, the film features Kushboo and Sarath Babu in the lead roles with Radha Ravi, Nizhalgal Ravi and Manorama playing supporting roles. See Trailer
- Baasha (1995) – Written and helmed by Suresh Krissna, Baashha was one of the defining films of the 90s. The film, which is bankrolled by V Thamilazhagan and V Rajammal under the production banner Sathya Movies, stars Rajinikanth and Nagma, Raghuvaran, Janagaraj and Vijayakumar in pivotal roles. See Trailer
- Padaiyappa (1999) – Written and helmed by KS Ravikumar, Padayappa is a 1999 Tamil rom-com film. The film features Sivaji Ganesan, Rajnikant, Ramya Krishnan and Soundarya in pivotal roles, while Abbas, Lakshmi, Radha Ravi and Nassar play supporting roles in the film. The music was scored by none other than AR Rahman. See Trailer
- Kabali (2016) – Written and helmed by Pa Ranjith, the gangster-drama Kabali is unlike any other Rajinikanth film. The film revolves around the gang war between Kabaleeswaran (played by Rajinikanth) and Tony Lee (portrayed by Winston Chao). Besides Rajinikanth, Kabali features Radhika Apte, Dhansika, Dinesh Ravi, Kalaiyarasan, and John Vijay in pivotal roles. The film was released on 3200 screens; upon release, the film had the largest opening weekend. See Trailer
Sources close to Rajinikant said that this year he opted for a low-key birthday following Cyclone Ochki, in which nearly 500 Tamil fishermen are still missing and 40 people had died. But this happens to be the third year Rajinikanth has chosen to stay away from the fan frenzy.
Rajinikanth is currently working on two films – 2.0 directed by Shankar starring Akshay Kumar, which is to hit the screens early next year and Kaala, a film by Paa Ranjith.